Why Most Companies Fail at Strategic Planning
• Why strategy planning requires a big-picture approach, rather than a single “magic bullet” solution
• How to craft a strategy that is thorough, yet simple
• Why a quest for perfection can doom the planning process.
• Why the entire strategic plan in a few consecutive days always fails.
• Why the process must not be complex.
• How to provide for good execution.
• How to avoid assumption and presumption errors.
How to Dominate Your Market
• Why you must define your market with laser-like focus when creating a strategic plan
• The right way to segment your market for maximum profits
• The #1 mistake most companies make when doing segmentation
• How to build a sustainable competitive advantage by leveraging your Strategic Competency
• How to gain market share…no matter how tough the competition is
How to Find Your Unique Strategic Competency
• Why every company must find its strategic competency and what to do if you can’t find one
• The three elements of every strategic competency
• How to sustain your strategic competency
• The three specific tests that every strategic competency must pass
How to Make Good Assumptions
• How to avoid one of the biggest mistakes of strategic assumptions
• How to anticipate the turning points in a trend
• What to do when it’s impossible to make a reasonable prediction
• The four steps to minimizing assumption errors
• How to prepare for the unexpected
How to Select and Exploit Your Best Opportunities
• How to avoid the dreaded “group think”
• How to use creative brainstorming to uncover breakthrough ideas
• How to stimulate creative thinking about opportunities
• The four criteria you should use to assess the viability of any new opportunity
How to Protect Your Company From Potential Threats
• The most important question your company must answer to anticipate any strategic threats
• How to evaluate perceived threats to identify those with the greatest potential impact
• The five steps you must take to minimize the impact of any significant strategic threat
How to Get From Where You Are To Where You Want to Be
• How to set measurable, specific and achievable strategic objectives
• How to achieve 80% to 90% of your strategic objectives (most company achieve only about 30% of their objectives)
How to Best Allocate Your Resources To Meet Your Objectives
• How to determine resource needs and availability
• How to find the money and the time to carry out your strategic plans
How to Most Effectively Use Your Strategic Plan
• Why the planning process produces better results each time you use it
• How to use your daily behavior to communicate your plan throughout the company
• When to update your plan
• How to monitor your progress and re-assess your strategy for best results.